View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #302
JLV

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

I just want to move this over from the other thread so that people can think about this too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
So true. If there is one lesson to learn from the full arc of the history of roleplaying games, its that content is king.

D+D's rules were always oddly organized, drifted around and were constantly being hacked in major ways. The details of the rules are not what made it stay on top in the face of lots of well produced competitors.

The real content of the game - dungeons, monster manuals, spell books, items - were exceptional from the beginning and remain impressive. I can't think of another game in the last 40 years that put out the volume of meaty material that actually gets used at the table in such a short time.

Plus, good settings and dungeons are forever whereas most rules 'hacks' are just static that gets lost in the noise of the hundreds of game systems out there.
I think this is a really important point concerning plans for future development of the game system. I realize that our immediate goal is to get the rules and existing adventures back out on the street as soon as reasonably possible, but after that the next consideration has to be "whenceforth now?" And larsdangly makes an extremely valid statement here!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote