View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Winning hearts and minds to DFRPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beoferret View Post
1) What have you done to introduce people to the game and to win it the attention we all probably think it deserves? What more could be done?
2) What are the best venues and means of introducing people to the game, e.g. is it better to post another review in ENworld or on RPGnet? Or is holding an introduction to the game (ala a convention-style session) at one's local gaming store, the way to go (how does one go about that anyways)?
3) How have newbies to DFRPG, especially those with no experience with GURPS, responded to it?
4) To what extent should we emphasize the connections with GURPS, when conducting outreach/marketing?
1) I've switched my informal family-oriented D&D games over to DFRPG. They're elementary age players, but a wide circle of school friends jump in for one-shots, and they've taken well to it. One parent contacted me about how to get a copy for the holidays, so that's something. This spring I'll be buying a couple of copies on our school activities budget to use with middle schoolers. I expect it to be a hit and will help introduce a new generation of players to SJG. Assuming it works out, we'll be repeating the activity with new students once or twice a year. (I've been teaching RPGs to middle schoolers for years, but this is the first time I've felt confident that there's an offering from SJG that can hit the sweet spot for this age-group.) There's quite a bit of adult interest from colleagues, too, so we're hoping to get a faculty game going this spring as well.
2) I don't know enough to opine.
3) The kids I've played with loved it. (As mentioned above, one of them is hoping to get a copy for a the holidays.)
4) For the school games this spring, I will definitely have a selection of GURPS books on display. Probably Characters and Campaigns plus a few support books that connect to genres that students particularly enjoy (e.g., steampunk). This is one area where PDFs suffer, alas, because they don't display as well in physical reality. Moreover, buying a set of PDFs doesn't do much since I can't legally share them with the students. Buying books, on the other hand, and lending them out is fine. I'll probably print some PDFs up, but they end up looking cheap by comparison with properly published books. I am hopeful that POD options will improve over time.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote