View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 11:53 PM   #36
chandley

Default Re: Modern Body Armor

I own this:

https://tacticalscorpiongear.com/tac...copy-8-37.html

which I bought to run Murph with. With the side protection, it's 26 lbs and rated to NIJ III (+, in that it is also rated against 30-06). $176 on ebay, no questions asked, shipped in a few days. You could probably still get it that way, and for about that price.

NIJ III means DR 25. 30-06 is +1 damage over a 7.62 NATO, so DR 26 isnt completely uncalled for. The plates are about an inch thick, front plate is 10lbs, back plate is 10 lbs, each side plate is 2.5(ish) lbs. Coverage is pretty complete for "Chest", if you argue the shoulders are "Arm" and below the ribs is "Abdomen". Has an armor gap in the armpit like a plate harness does (if you are wearing the side protectors). Armpit is a vitals strike at -8 and would bypass DR if used an impaling or piercing attack.

It is concealable with a winter coat with side plates or with a suit jacket without the side plates, but in either config, I'd hit the wearer with -1 DX for layering, as the thickness of the plates + carrier + coat definitely gets in the way.

A custom fitted plate carrier with better straps could remove that -1 DX though, it really is the carrier not putting things in the right place and getting in the way itself that is the biggest part of the problem.

A heavy coat is up to +4 for Holdout. Technically this is -26 to holdout for DR 26, but that rule in High-Tech never made sense to me. The coat wont let you conceal from a pat down (klunk klunk eh whats this? +1 to search, but honestly... dont roll) but eyeball search? Sure, could beat that out.

Comfort? Mostly its just 26lbs on your shoulders unless you belt the carrier or replace the carrier. Definitely wearable all day, no more bulky than the vests I see police wearing. Wear a shirt under it though, you'll rub your nipples right off if you run in it for any length of time (like I said... Murph...). Honestly less bulky and more comfortable (and easier to conceal!) than the DR 8 plate harness I have, even if Im only wearing the torso armor.