View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the week: Absent-Mindedness and Short Attention Span

I have full blown Absent-Mindedness IRL, as one of the consequences of a "small" brain injury. It's something you can mitigate (not remove!) these days by relying heavily on software assistants - I refer to my Android phone as my "outboard brain" because of how much I need Google to keep my everything together.
I quite literally have "Eat breakfast!", "Eat lunch!", and "Eat dinner!" notifications on my phone, because "eating" is one of those things I need an IQ-5 roll to remember to do when I'm paying attention to something. I also use a (very very cheap) smart watch to remind me to drink water regularly, because I forget that too.

This would be a partial Mitigator, a device that can be stolen pretty easily

At a lower TL this can be done by a "minder", better than Google does but rather expensive to hire. A personal assistant, butler, nanny, squire, or very understanding spouse or sibling, depending on the era, culture, and financial means. To a lesser extent professional colleagues (lab assistants, administrative assistant, an Igor) can also fill in at the workplace, but they don't follow you home and make sure you can find your car keys and pants.

That's an Ally of course :) Frequency of appearance dictated by if they're your personal sidekick vs someone in the workplace you lean on.

Both are ways to reduce the cost of the disad, because they reduce the impact.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote