View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #24
KevinJ

Default Re: advice for Oriental characters in Melee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcro View Post
My Kids bought me the new Melee-Wizard Pocketbox , so I can retire my very beat up 40 year old sets. anyway we've been trying new characters with Oriental settings in mind. I was wondering if anyone has done the same. for example Samurai/Ronin versus Oni (demon) monsters and dragons? thinking of adding Wizard into the mix too, but I'm not sure on how to spec a Katana for my Samurai ( I've been using the standard 'bastard sword' as a Katana being that its mostly a shorter sword for two handed 1d6 and give it a +1.
then Armour for a Samurai is supposed to be very light and doesn't interfere with movement as much as European type of armour.
My son (23 now) and daughter (9) and I love the Okko Comic books and the whole Oriental settings. and this is what we are aiming for. I'd like to make a setting to play this setting in Cidri for In The Labyrinth. wondering if anyone has any specs for Oriental characters,weapons etc. thank you for reading.
For me, the world itself is more important that the nit picky mechanics.

However, for the Katana I would go with a broadsword with a long handle so you can use it two-handed with a 1+ damage for using it two handed. And a Bastard sword. And a full on two handed sword (No-Dachi). Jian is just a broadsword. Dao is a broadsword. I like the Kusari-Gama getting whip treatment, but you might allow a DX check to avoid entanglement and a ST check to resist being manhandled by the Kusari user. It's really up to you to select which weapons are allowed and which 'just don't exist in this setting.

You can find weights for period armors online and assigning the appropriate defensive value is up to your interpretation.

Don't be shy with giving the player Fine weapons and armor in the setting. You could also mage 'blessed weapons' the most simple form of magic weapons. "Onimusha can only ge harmed by a blade blessed as the shrink in fukihara." is the kind of thing that helps defeat X monster without giving the players enchanted weapons with permanent bonuses. There is nothing wrong with enchanted weapons, but in an Asian themed game they seem very rare. As are monsters that can only be harmed by enchanted weapons.

I have most of the Usagi Yujimbo Graphic Novel collection (And the actual UY RPG) and it is mostly normal foes and monsters that are killed with normal weapons, with a few foes who need special circumstances to be defeated.