View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 02:51 AM   #19
tbone

Default Re: Combining GURPS and Hackmaster combat system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exallted View Post
Thanks for the reply! I found your article very interesting! Looking up on your GLAIVE model, you pretty much modeled my desired weapon speed with the recovery time column in the sample table at the end of the article (you also go into much more detail). Though I think I'd like to have more inter-spaced attacks than what you rules seem to wield (I believe it would help fixing one of the issues you mention about a character that is 50 yards away reaching the conflict zone with combat over already).
Maybe I could use your recovery values and work them through some constant to give me some values in the ball park I have in mind? Maybe your recovery divided by half ST, rounded up?
Keep in mind that the full GLAIVE rules you refer to were made for 3e*; I never did update them for 4e. I believe there are notes on the main things that would need to be changed. In particular, length and unbalance boost Recovery (a measure of recovery time needed, i.e., slowness) a lot, to get 3e's sl-o-o-o-w axes and polearms; 4e formulas should be set to generate lower Recovery for these weapons, to speed them up. (That's a welcome change, IMO!)

Also, referencing a separate reply of yours: Note that the system specifically yields higher Recovery for swings than for thrusts. That's for pretty much any weapon, swords included, not just polearms and the like. I think that's in line with the effects you're looking for.

Not sure what you mean by wanting "more inter-spaced attacks". Do you mean more seconds between melee attacks for a typical fighter? If so: Well, especially if you use the system's "Detailed rule for readying time", higher Recovery contributes to that effect. On top of that, add in all the other things discussed in this thread and all over the forums (Evaluate, more use of Feint and Wait, possibly harsher fatigue for fighters who never rest, etc.). (FWIW, I'm entirely in favor of slowing down the pace of melee in GURPS. I just want to use reasons why Shortsword Guy wouldn't or shouldn't hack non-stop, instead of decreeing that he's not allowed to do so, or injecting arbitrary "lulls" into fights, etc.)

I'm also not sure what you mean by "your recovery divided by half ST". The Recovery stat in GLAIVE is intended to be – it has to be – divided by strength to be of use. I guess I'm misunderstanding something.

*For the curious: I did make a GLAIVE mini for 4e, but it's very short and only concerned with generating basic melee weapon stats. It doesn't deal in attack speeds, Ready requirements, etc.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote