View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
Varyon

Default Re: Focused Defense Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Your interpretation makes Focused Defense (deny right) an even worse choice for a gladiator with gladius and scutum, because now he has to enter Close Combat to strike where he is at -4 to use his gladius and can't block with his scutum.
Anyone intending to fight like this (that is, without changing stances when attacking) should invest in the Close Combat Technique, reducing that penalty to -2. Additionally, even if you maintain a shield's Reach 1 (as I stated upthread, I don't think most shields should have this), it should still be able to bash/block at Reach C at -4 to skill (thus -2 to Block), and shoves with it should probably be unpenalized.

I'd also say that striking with a denied gladius while entering or exiting Close Combat should be unpenalized. This could result in an interesting tactic - a Dual Weapon Attack consisting of a shove with the shield and a stab with the gladius (as the enemy is being forced out of CC). I'd imagine the crowd would love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V. Dell'Orto View Post
You could probably replace that Reach penalty with a -2 to hit (no matter what the reach of the weapon) and get a "close enough" effect.
If I ever decide to incorporate the Deny options, I'd probably go with this. Well, I'd replace the -2 to hit with a +1 to enemy defense, but that's pretty much the same thing.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote