View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 02:19 PM   #519
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Thanks for the comments, all.

I don't want SLUGS on my pizza, but if you make it "bananas, raw oysters, and peppermint," I'll try it. Once.

The Munchkin/fad/bubblepop issue is one that we regularly discuss. On the one hand, yeah. It's a valid point.

On the other hand, nothing that runs for ten years, and gets stronger every year, can really be called a "fad." No game can grow forever, even if it gets bigger until everyone on Earth has a copy. Since we are not at that stage yet, we'll support Munchkin as much as we can! But if and when Munchkin levels off or even shrinks, we're fine. Other new games are coming. Car Wars is returning. More is in the Ogre pipeline. And so on.

And, on the gripping hand, there's a relevant story about TSR, back in the 1980s. It was common knowledge in the industry that post-Gygax management was constantly expecting the D&D "bubble" to pop, which helps explain their strange non-game diversification. And, as we see, D&D turned out to be just a passing fad . . . no, wait, that's wrong, isn't it?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote