View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #24
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Handling Long-Range Musketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
It does it to an extent, yes. However, a lot of high-Acc weapons appear to get their Acc due to inherent precision rather than ergonomics (beam weapons are a big winner here, but some of the "sniper" style weapons aren't ergonomically superior to their lower-Acc cousins, using a rifled rather than smooth bore gives increased Acc, and of course match-grade ammunition does nothing for ergonomics). Personally, I'd love to have a nuts-and-bolts system (so that weapons can be readily modified/designed in these regards) that includes basic handling ergonomics (skill penalties/bonuses; Bulk probably handles this alright as-is), ease-of-aiming ergonomics (using Douglas Cole's Take Aim article, this would give a bonus to your Aim roll, as well as to Sighted Shooting that isn't preceded by Aim), actual quality of Aiming (that is, what bonus you get for successfully Aiming), and an MoA-based skill cap. Call these Bulk, Erg, Acc, and MoA - Bulk penalizes you as normal (but it might be appropriate to have it give lesser penalties as range increases; a quick shot with a pistol at 3 yards is probably easier to manage than one with a heavy sniper rifle), Erg gives a bonus to Sighted Shooting and Aim maneuvers, Acc dictates the bonus you get for successfully Aiming, and MoA is your skill cap.
Er, you realize Bulk only penalizes your shots in close combat or on a Move and Attack?

Weapons that are actually especially awkward to use get an outright penalty to Guns...the example currently coming to mind is the rigs for shooting around corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
The days when, say, lasers had amazing Accuracy scores because they hit what they are pointed at (whether or not it was easy to point them at it and keep them steady) were mostly 3e days.
Er, lasers certainly have amazing Accuracy scores in 4e. Are you just pointing out that the amazing scores are better for stocked weapons?