View Single Post
Old 05-01-2022, 11:12 PM   #2627
Lovewyrm

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but it's theorized (and somewhat 'proven', by reading brain neuron activity upon light stimulation) that lizards can change their perceived time rate, or 'life Frames per Second' as a side effect to regulating their body temperature by sunbathing or cooling down.

It's connected with the 'critical flicker fusion frequency' that animals, including insects, have.

On its own its how many light strobes they can perceive per second.
So 60 flickers per second look rather solid to humans (constant light)
But to something like a fly or even a dog, they see pauses between the blinks.

But the side effect of that is said to be linked with the rate time is perceived too.
A fly, for example, has a really high rate of perceivable frames per second, I think I heard, like, two or three times of a human, so they basically live in matrix bullet time compared to us.

With the upside that really fast movement is perceptible to them, but if you go really slow around a fly then it's basically motionless to them. (You can catch a fly by sloooooooowly cupping your hand over it. )

And well, lizards (crocodiles and turtles/tortoises, too, btw) and the like are said to be able to adjust it.
Which is pretty wicked, and weird.

It's theorized that it helps lizards hunt, when they are in low fps mode, and everything around them speeds up, then they can see pattern in things that move slowly, and then they can speed themselves up to camp those patterns and in bullet time then pick off the insects that are part of those patterns.

Elephants are also said to live in 'blur' mode, everything around them seems faster in relation to them, and it's beneficial to them because they don't have (m)any real predators, and allegedly living in a sped up world allows them to see patterns in weather better (like cloud movement) which allows them to strategically move to a better position to graze and whatnot.

Edit:
Found the video I heard it from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvg242U2YfQ

Last edited by Lovewyrm; 05-01-2022 at 11:18 PM.
Lovewyrm is offline   Reply With Quote