View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #27
Icelander

Default Re: [Last Gasp] Mighty Warriors: Which Advantages and Skills Count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
It would be easier. But I guess it will depend on how many different things a character will be doing.
If they buy traits that make certain activities more energy-efficient, they presumably mean to make heavier use of those activities in combat than other characters would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Sorry not quite what I meant. I wasn't thinking in terms of points values, I was thinking in terms of relative ability. What you currently have is characters who can act and fight ate extremely quick rates and maintain effectiveness whale doing so. Only with the current AP system that run out of APs very quickly when they maintain that rate. Your wanting them to maintain that rate for longer thus increasing there overall effectiveness. Which in points terms is fine because you make than pay points for that, but (IMO) your moving further and further away form human maximum effectiveness, since you effectively removing another limitation from them and they become more super heroic. This isn't bad thing of course, but if your staying to keep within human potential its still a 'thing'.
Well, yes.

But the purpose of human potential in the campaign setting isn't to limit PCs or even their foes, it is provide a mental benchmark for the players. By explicitly noting when their characters surpass normal human potential and/or maximum human performance in a given trait and paying a surcharge in the form of Special Exercises and Unusual Background, the players realise exactly what superpowers* their characters have.

It's not that I discourage access to such superpowers, just that I want to have a benchmark for what 'ordinary' people can do and making it somewhat more cost-effective to remain within the bounds of that.

Of course, magic and other supernatural power sources are not bound by those considerations, so it doesn't cost anything extra to have explicit supernatural gifts that give you abilities above the human ken.

*I.e. how their characters can exceed human norms.