View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #58
ravenfish

Default Re: Options for GURPS Banestorm - 11 years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If you take this too far, Divine Favor is useless, the power you call on has to be demonstratable for it to be worth the points at all.
Certainly. But, in a world where magic is a demonstrable fact and and accepted part of life, one can perform a great many demonstrable "miracles" without being demonstrably divine. Again, Gurps Banestorm describes people who can zarking teleport after years of religious contemplation, but, because magic is a thing, this is not strong evidence of the existence of a god, much less theirs in particular.

Also: suppose your request is granted, and the ability identifies the Mahdi. How does anyone know the identification is correct? When the end times come, and he rules the world for nine years, you can say "I told you so", but until then, from the point of view of an outsider, pointing to a guy and declaring him to be the chosen one is pretty low on the list of impressive things you can do with your ability.