View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 06:29 AM   #15
Flyerfan1991

Default Re: First thoughts on D&D 4th edition

My main complaints are with what they did with the core races and the classes. Dumping the Half Orcs (which were there from the beginning) and the Gnomes (take them or leave them, but they've been around since forever), and replacing them with the Draconians (that's what they are, really), the Grey Elves (which are what the Eladrin are) and Tieflings (what, no other half Outsiders?), not to mention kenderizing the Halflings, it seems that they've fundamentally changed the core world that D&D adventures in. Add to that the dumping of the barbarian, the druid, sorceror and the bard and throwing in the warlord and warlock, it seems that they are fundamentally changing the way characters interact by de-emphasizing roleplaying and emphasizing combat.

Now, I don't mind an occasional hack and slash game, but it seems that by stripping things down and replacing them with what is there now, WotC has decided to make it harder on those who want more emphasis on roleplaying. Oh, I suppose that the angst of some of these characters would make for good roleplaying, but let's face it: these races and classes are there for power and not for roleplaying.

--Mike L.
Flyerfan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote