View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 06:12 AM   #14
Bruno

Default Re: First thoughts on D&D 4th edition

TL;DR version: I don't see this as a replacement for D&D 3.5/3.0 - it's too different. It's a viable alternative, for the kick-the-door kill-the-monster bicker-about-the-rules folks. I can't decide if I like it or loath it. I'd play this system, but not run it.

In general, I'm liking the directions taken in character creation. The at will/encounter/daily/ritual organization is a big improvement over the "pseudo-vancian" magic system, and doesn't require a lot of book keeping (unlike spell memorization or daily spell points).

I like the removal of multiclassing simply because muticlassing was either a quick route to being overpowered, or a quick route to being useless... Depending on your choices, you could end up with a character with a base attack of 0, only first level spells (from a few classes admitedly), but some amazing saves and skill points out your ears... or you could end up with a warrior with a BAB equal to your level, the significant abilities of multiple classes, great saving throws and skills, and basically give up nothing significant.

The multiclass feats are less flexible, but the new design of character creation has brought the classes closer together, so it takes less to get the significant abilities of another class. The powers and skill choices are the most distinctive features of the classes now, exluding the numbers which were some of the most abusable features of old-style multiclassing.

I find healing surges confusing and worrying. I grasp the idea that now, with at-will healing powers, they need a way to stop players from having bottomless supplies of hitpoints over the course of a day, but this seems like a seriously odd way to do it. Healing Potions are by their nature a consumable resource that has to be managed, and yet they ALSO consume a healing surge? wot?

Combat appears to have become even more mechanical and Magic-the-Gathering-like than before. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does define the game even more as a fantasy skirmish battle game with some roleplaying wrapped around it.

The death of open ended knowledge skills, and the removal of professional skills wholescale, has killed a lot of chances for characterization.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote