View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 10:52 AM   #19
Varyon

Default Re: GURPS Overhaul - Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
Another way of simplifying it might be to do away with the idea of a pool of MP that can be spent in different ways and instead remain closer to the standard. You have an Action, a Defense, and some Movement (usually just a Step) each turn. Rather than have a fixed pool, you earn MP by taking penalties to a roll, to damage, etc. or by giving up those actions entirely. That MP can then be redistributed to other things, increased damage, increased hit chance, etc.
If you read the entire first post, you may notice that the system actually started out much like this. I opted to go with MP because I preferred that paradigm. It has also lent itself to something else, which I'm working on a blog post for currently (probably won't be published today, but you never know).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
As a side note, it'd be interesting to see if you could do away with multiple roles with this system. I.e. rather than roll several times to do multiple attacks, you instead spend MP for an additional attack and make a single roll, or likewise for defence. Might work well for very fast paced games.
That's something that would be doable without Combat Posture, actually. Rolling twice at the same skill level and managing at least one success is roughly equivalent to rolling once at +2. Rolling twice at the same skill level and managing two successes is roughly equivalent to rolling once at -2. Three is around +3, four is +4, and so forth (technically, it starts slowing down, but this probably works out alright). With that in mind, resolving 2 attacks with one roll is +2 to hit, Rcl 4. 3 attacks is +3 to hit, Rcl 3. 4 attacks is +4 to hit, Rcl 3 (actually, more like Rcl 8/3). I'd be tempted to just simplify it to +1 to hit per attack, Rcl 3. To do it with MP, it's simply a cost of 4 MP per additional attack (to negate the -6 for Rapid Strike; note this is only 2 MP for characters with Trained by a Master or Weapon Master).
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote