View Single Post
Old 09-25-2015, 01:07 AM   #35
Koningkrush

Default Re: Actual Impaling Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
I think that's why while I can see the argument for P-, P, P+ & P++ having different caps (bigger wound channels are bigger) and I've used the same tweak myself before now.

I prefer to demonstrate that extra effect via the worse bleeding. It's gets too all or nothing when you're talking about multiples of HP and -1xHP means a death roll.

But if you don't you can get oddities where low penetration high multiplier rounds will do more damage if they don't penetrate than if they do! (mind you how likely is that)

Maybe a solution is to only leverage the extra damage from Pi+ and Pi++ in terms of bleeding.
Note that I am not a physics major or an arms expert, but low penetration rounds with high multipliers should do more damage if they don't pass through. Here's the definition of a hollow point for example.

"A hollow-point bullet is an expanding bullet that has a pit or hollowed out shape in its tip often intended to cause the bullet to expand upon entering a target in order to decrease penetration and disrupt more tissue as it travels through the target."

Really, there are two parts of injury that come from bullets.

1. Energy absorption by tissue.
2. Wound canal caused by round.

Of course, there should be an injury maximum for number 2, but I'm not endowed enough with science and math knowledge to figure out a solution for 1. My best guess is that there isn't much of a difference for 1 once the bullet passes through because it goes through so quickly that the body doesn't have enough time to absorb energy before the bullet punches through.
Of course, if this bullet was traveling SUPER damn fast, you would want it to punch through you so that the energy isn't completely absorbed by your soft tissues. This is why armor piercing bullets are **** against organics, but hollow points are a nightmare.

For game play convenience, I like my house rule since it's simple and reasonably close to reality. I already have infection rules (So if the bullet doesn't go through you, then you better get it out soon), and bleeding rules in play. Doesn't matter how bad ass your gun is, you're not going to drop someone instantly dead unless you hit vital organs or the brain. Of course, your bad ass gun is going to drop them to the ground and they are going to pitifully bleed out a pool of blood from a gaping hole in their torso though even if you do miss the vitals.

Last edited by Koningkrush; 09-25-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Koningkrush is offline   Reply With Quote