View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #236
Icelander

Default Re: Earth analogues or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Actually, that only takes Astronomy (Observational)/TL6.

Actually, the spectroscopic equipment might well not have been. I suspect that once the absence of telescopic binaries was discovered, the hobby astronomers went rather quiet.
Ah, indeed. Very good.

Quote:
This is where the astronomers have to reconcile conflicts between scientific and ideological knowledge, which was a common thing before the twentieth century. So they'll just emphasise the "second chance" part, and nod along with the identity part.
In any case, I can't imagine many fields where exciting science or engineering is going on in the first couple of ASN generations where it really matters all that much whether this is an earlier Earth, an Alternate Earth or some imaginary world which just happens to mimic Earthly conditions on the world well enough for science to work down there. And I can't imagine any fields where the exact nature of astrophysics in their version of space become relevant until they've advanced their technology and infrastructure somewhat further.

So it seems to me that scientists could privately believe what they want and ardent Nazi engineers could believe in the myth, but that this wouldn't cause any problems as long as they were simply building up the industrial base of the world until they reach similar economic levels as they had in 1940s Germany.

Quote:
If sunlight isn't from a constant point in the sky, the adaptations are much less obvious, but the fact that this isn't Earth is far more obvious. Unless you claim it's the really far past according to some of Weisthor's more interesting early claims.
Jötunheim has three suns, not Germania Hyperborea, and pretty much no one but the most dedicated Irminists accepts Jötunheim as a past era of our Earth. I mean, it's not like people are lining up to correct Weisthor, the greatest magician in the world, about it, but privately, most of the ASNs who live there consider Jötunheim' elsewhere', not merely another time, no matter how ancient.

Quote:
The geologists will be interested in the fossil prints in the coal.
They will indeed and they're seeing... wonderful things. Yes, wonderful things.

Occasionally, they'll come across something that matches known Earth fossils pretty well, but the vast majority of the fossils are unknown to 1940s archaeology and a good 5-10% of them show some features that seem likely to be impossible for normal Earth-based life.

As far as anyone can tell, Jötunheim has always been highly magical, with the local mana fluctuating between No Mana Zones to Normal Mana Zones, with occasional Places of Power that have even higher Mana than that, sometimes aspected and sometimes higher across the board. And the fauna has adapted to this, with multiple species seeming to have evolved in higher mana areas and died out in mass extinctions when the local mana changed.

Last edited by Icelander; 02-12-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote