View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #13
shadowjack

Default Re: Alchemy in a no mana world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I would still say that alchemy is just low tech chemistry. Strange incorrect beliefs and bad technique are a side effect of being low TL.
I second this! :) And to add a little more:

"Alchemy", the GURPS skill, refers to the skill of mixing magical ingredients; in a no mana setting, there are no such things, so there's no such skill. Someone from a magical world who already has the skill will find it largely useless in a manaless world, because the physics are different!

"Alchemy", as a real historical practice, refers to the pre- or proto-scientific skill of mixing chemical ingredients and to a body of mystical lore -- which are the GURPS skills of Chemistry and Theology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Even without magic, Alchemy should probably function as a form of Esoteric Medicine and Philosophy as well as a form of Chemistry. Chemistry defaults to Alchemy-3, so I would give appropriate specialties of Esoteric Medicine and Philosophy similar defaults. Each school of Alchemy should be its own required specialty though, as Eastern Alchemy is different than Indian Alchemy, which is different than Western Alchemy, each related to its own specialty of Esoteric Medicine and Philosophy.
This looks like a good alternative approach to me.
shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote