View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
Skarg

Default Re: Suggestion for wording of Physicker talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
My $.02 - worrying about “logic” when discussing healing in a game with hit points is pointless in my opinion. Abstractions like hit points are a poor way of simulating damage, but they persist because they are fun and simple.* It seems silly to me to agonize over logic when the entire hit point system is a significant abstraction.
There are degrees of logic, and I think I and most of my friends have a higher bar for logic than some, but at some point things happen in play that are so illogical they don't make sense. I prefer to head those off when I can see them coming, rather than have deal with or retcon them during play.

But I am sure there are players who won't notice, and players who won't mind, having one character near death and needing to rest for three weeks, while another has no injuries, even though they had the same injuries, because of minor differences in when a physicker was able to get to them. We, on the other hand, will continue to notice and think it makes no sense and is a silly way to play that leads to annoying exaggerated gamey efforts to avoid taking more than one minor wound per combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
From a game play perspective, allowing physicists to heal each discrete “wound” adds bookkeeping and affects game balance. As noted, one problem is that it makes armored characters even more overpowering.
We enjoyed the game balance situation, and the "added" bookkeeping seems extremely trivial to me.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote