View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 09:35 PM   #39
acrosome

Default Re: Custody of federal prisoners convicted at court martial or unfit for trial

One tidbit that I recall is that prisoners are not allowed to sleep (or even lay down) except during designated hours- 2100 to 0600 or whatever. They must stand or sit. Military regulation specifies that they have to be engaged in productive labor 40 hours a week (if possible). As far as socializing and mixing I think it's vaguely similar to other prisons in that it varies. What I read implies that as in other prisons there are custody grades that run from trusty all the way up to maximum. I.e. for most prisoners there is a common area, but I recall a (possibly apocryphal) story of a Leavenworth prisoner so mean he was sentenced to "no human contact" for the remainder of his sentence after he killed someone or something.

For more details, I just googled "daily life at leavenworth disciplinary barrracks" and had a whole page full of appropriate-sounding hits, including this one about Chelsea (nee Bradley) Manning.

A side note-- I read the earlier discussion, and US military criminal prisoners are very much still in the military with rank E-1. That they are not allowed to salute is immaterial- that's part of their punishment. But sentences read like this: "reduction in grade to E1, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and incarceration for X years." And at the end of their sentence they are dishonorably discharged. But they are grade E1 in the disciplinary barracks, to keep them susceptible to military discipline, meaning the usual things are aren't normally considered crimes (or at least violations) in civilian life do still apply to them. For instance, uniform standards like being clean shaven every day, and keeping a neat room, etc.

Last edited by acrosome; 01-10-2018 at 09:47 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote