View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 01:00 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: trouble understanding the one shot items

Mod note: I am going to ask that no one BUT chang, MunchkinMan, Devin, or me reply to this note. The chance of further confusion seems to be very high, and some of you wonderful people are not as clear and concise in your explanations as you think you are. Thanks.

Taking your questions in random order:

* The previous thread was closed because your question was answered and the conversation was veering off-topic. Not your fault. In the Munchkin 101 forum, we strongly discourage extended discussions unless they serve to illuminate some aspect of the original question(s) or someone asks a relevant follow-up question. If people want to discuss tangential issues, they can start a new thread here (if the question is a legitimate question, and not fuel for a metadiscussion) or in the main Munchkin forum. That's exactly what you did, so we're fine.

* You seem to have a couple of areas of confusion. Let me try to break this down.

1) Item cards are cards with a Gold Piece value printed at the bottom (or the phrase "No Value," which I really wish we'd just called 0 Gold Pieces 13 years ago). Generally, Items are the only Treasures that can be played on the table and used later. (There are a few Treasures that are not Items but give a permanent bonus -- Really Impressive Title from core Munchkin is an example -- that may also be played on the table.)

There are some restrictions to this, mainly that you can only have one Big item in play at a time unless you have a card that waives that limit (Cheat!, Hireling, and the Dwarf race are examples from classic Munchkin), but this is enough to get you started.

2) "One-shot" Treasures are exactly the same as "Usable once only" Treasures, and should have that phrase or an equivalent instruction printed on the card ("Discard after use" or something like that) -- although we tried to clean those up in 2010, we missed a few.

3) Most one-shots are Items, but not all. One-shot Items follow the usual rules from Items, including that you can play them in front of you. The rules are explicit that one-shot Items may be played from your hand or from the table. The occasional one-shot non-Item must be played from your hand.

chang, if this doesn't clear up your confusion, please reply and let me know what you're still not understanding.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote