View Single Post
Old 12-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #20
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: affects insubstantial follow-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
I'm pretty sure the Follow-up doesn't work at all if it fails to penetrate the DR, which is he real point of Linked attacks, the both go off, subject onto to their own limits
This is something that I keep seeing forumites say, but that I never found any basis for.

Like, say I throw a grenade at a window. If it penetrates the window's DR and flies into the room, it does internal damage to the room. If it somehow fails to penetrate the window DR, it'll explode next to the window and do its explosive damage to it.

I'd really, really appreciate if people started backing up such claims with quotes before spreading them, since this confuses the newbies.

Because currently we in fact have a FAQ section on this, which say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ3.4.5.10
3.4.5.10 Follow-up ignores DR if the carrier penetrates it. Is it automatically stopped if the carrier fails to penetrate?

No! Example: If a grenade hits you for 1d crushing in the head (with skull DR 2 stopping it completely on a roll of 1), it still explodes for 3d cr ex. Now, poisons are another matter: Toxic and Fatigue attacks on realistic weapons frequently have Blood Agent. In this case, the follow-up will indeed be stopped if the carrier fails to penetrate. However, there is no discount (limitation value) on the follow-up attack for this, as a strong carrier negates the limitation, and basing limitation value on carrier damage is too un-generic.

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 12-26-2016 at 11:43 PM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote