View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 12:11 AM   #28
HANS

Default Re: Shooting Dice Blog with GURPS content

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
Edit: And may I just say, Mr. Hans, that I'm loving this blog so far. I really enjoy both the scene breakdowns and the weapon writeups.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
One thing I've always found interesting in these and other scene writeups is the prevalence of All-Out Attack (even in melee). I'm sure that it's in part a byproduct of cinematic effect (Sam Snead would seem a lot less impressive if he were handling Cairo cautiously, as opposed to manhandling him), but I wonder if GURPS play in practice, because of the attached rules, also tends to significantly understate the commonness of AOAs (or even Committed Attacks).
All-Out Attack (Determined) is required for sighted shots, at least if you're using Tactical Shooting. This is an optional rule, but I feel it is one of the most important and realistic rules in that book. Concentrating on the sights comes with advantages (better shots, ie +1 to skill) and disadvantages (tunnel vision etc, ie no active defence). And there is your explanation. Many players (like many real-world shooters!) don't commit fully because they want to keep their chances to "defend" (what's represented by Dodge, usually). This is one reason why so many shots fired by police etc go astray; they learn how to use the sights in training, but as soon as they get into a fight, much of that goes out of the window. The reason that many of the guys in my writeups so far use it is that they are competent "hero" types (actually not really of course, as many of them are criminals, but you get the point). This is the type of guy most players want to play.
I'm planning to write up some more "pedestrian" scenes as well, without fancy moves and lots of misses . . .

Cheers

HANS