Thread: [IW] Patton-2
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2019, 07:22 AM   #5
Michele

Default Re: [IW] Patton-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, here's things I noticed on first pass:
- Parallels can't be shifted only echos can; Centrum has no chance of moving this timeline, but they can hope to bring it towards there point of view.
- There's been an apparent backslide of the British Commonwealth; some of the dominions (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa), were effectively independent from the Britain starting in 1931 (there were some small things left over where appeals could theoretically be made to British courts and some ability for British parliament to pass legislation that effected the dominions, but this was marginal). It just seems a little odd that over the next forty years it pushes heavily in the other direction.
- Empire with satellite states seems misleading; the British clearly view themselves as equals to the Americans and don't appear to be taking orders from them, the Chinese and the Brazilians are even more independent. While the Americans clearly have satellites, it would probably be more accurate to describe them as "Empire with Rivals".
Thank you for the input!

I don't find it overly strange, given the premises, that the BCE still exists. On Homeline and over here, Churchill ran for the post-war election on a platform that certainly did not envision to abandon the overseas possessions; at most, the "Empire" parts would be allowed to inch towards "Commonwealth" status. Churchill lost the election - but not on Patton-2, where the elections were held in 1947 and Labourists were hamstrung by the allegations of being "fellow travelers" of the Communist, their leaders barred from running, their activists under close police scrutiny.
Naturally, places like Canada or Australia are no less effectively independent on Patton-2 than they were in our timeline in the 1930s. But given the nuclear war, the ever-present Communist scare, and the overall life of the mind on Patton-2, they find it convenient to remain in the Commowealth, and under the aegis of the British nuclear missiles. And if they don't want this to go on, they can opt out - like the New Zealand example makes clear.
It's another story in India, Malaya or Kenya - but the locals mostly don't get to vote there. It's the Empire part of the thing.
The South African government is enthusiastic about being in the Commonwealth, and love to get British contributions to the budgets of their special units, as well as know-how from the American advisors of the FSA-ID.
I hope this explains my take of things.

As to your other remarks: you are right. I'm editing my original posts to reflect that. Thank you again!