View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 02:12 PM   #26
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?
Default Re: Maximum number of people in close combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
I've continued playing with this, and surprisingly I've found that if you rigorously enforce those movement point costs for moving into an ally's hex, it becomes feasible for a high-skilled martial artist (Karate-18, with 3 points spent on the Kicking technique) to win against a much larger group of low-skill mooks (Brawling-12), even after I stripped the martial artist of "cinematic" traits like Enhanced Parry and Trained By a Master. What you have the karate master do is (1) step back either before or after every attack and (2) make their first active defense in any given round a Retreat. With this tactic, in any given round maybe two mooks get to attack at full skill, and others are forced to use Move and Attack, which usually misses. Choke points are unnecessary, and I'm not sure they'd even be terribly helpful, given the ability to stack multiple people in close combat.
Miyomoto Mushashi calls this out in Go Rin No Sho, where he describes fighting against multiple opponents:"There are Many Enemies

"There are many enemies'"*^ applies when you are fighting one against many. Draw both
sword and companion sword and assume a wide-stretched left and right attitude. The
spirit is to chase the enemies around from side to side, even though they come from all
four directions. Observe their attacking order, and go to meet first those who attack first.
Sweep your eyes around broadly, carefully examining the attacking order, and cut left and
right alternately with your swords. Waiting is bad. Always quickly reassume your attitudes
to both sides, cut the enemies down as they advance, crushing them in the direction from
which they attack. Whatever you do, you must drive the enemy together, as if tying a line
of fishes, and when they are seen to be piled up, cut them down strongly without giving
them room to move. "