View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#42): Double-Jointed, Flexibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
The name change is pretty easy - being fully double-jointed is a real thing that makes you quite flexible, but it seems reasonable to be more flexible than an average person without being full-on double-jointed.

And, once they had that decision, it was easier to declare the high level version to be double-jointed, rather than having "realistic" double-jointed be +3 and invent a +1 or +2 version for less extreme flexibility (like a perk named "Limber" or something) as that would require making a new name for the highest level.

Plainly, "Flexible" doesn't sound as extreme as "Double-Jointed" does. It'd be like calling Unfazeable "Bravery" while leaving "Fearlessness" as the +1 to resist fear.
Interesting. I'd make almost the exact same argument in favor of going the 3e route, with the added bonus of avoiding some confused 3e players. I wonder if it is just the difference of local language usage and or experience. A lot of folks are at least a little double-jointed (myself included), but only those that really work at it will be referred to as "flexible". In fact, because of my personal life experiences, if a weaker version of this series of traits were added, I'd favor that being called "Double-Jointed", and a new term created for one of the two more advanced versions.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote