View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 02:56 AM   #14
scc

Default Re: [Space] Haven And Carson's World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Well, the why of this can be a mystery for the PCs to solve, if you want. As for an answer for you, as GM - make something up. Maybe the aliens wanted something that's found on Carson's World but not Haven. Maybe there are ruins on Haven but the more active environment has destroyed them, or they simply haven't been found yet because they're buried in a jungle.
There are really two problems I have with the whole setup: The trope of alien ruins on a dead world, the aliens being dead is understandable as it's rather hard to have them leaving behind ruins without being dead, the the planet(s) they inhabited as well? The other is RPG's including mysteries like these without not only any answers but also theories or hints.

Quote:
As for whether or not there are alien ruins somewhere around the companion - that's entirely up to you.
The thing to make actually adding in any more ruins I've got to have a reason for there to be more ruins, more ruins for the sake of at just won't cut it.

Quote:
And when it comes to giving the PCs a ship, but not wanting them to just be independent traders - make the ship one that's unsuited to trading. Maybe have it be provided as some government-sponsored mission to go out and find something, or to be spies.
I'm planing a really slow FTL system, so trading isn't really an option, and I figure that the planetary government of Haven likes to pretend the rest of the galaxy doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
The aliens might be anaerobic life, and thus find a planet full of oxidizer as terrifying as we would find a planet with open seas of chlorine.
This is probably the the best explanation, as I can't see any ban on settling habitable worlds over potential environmental and ecological consequences working. Still doesn't explain why the world is dead.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote