View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 12:27 AM   #8
Pentaclegram

Default Re: Need Help With Utter Dome Using Fixed Magic

Thanks for all the replies!

Thanks for pointing that out Not Another Shrubbery, I had not noticed the Absolute section. I'm not sure how well Insubstantial will work with the existence of the Affects Insubstantial attach Enhancement. Otherwise, mechanically, it does what I want.

I don't have the Sorcery: Protection and Warning splat, but I can imagine that the versions they offer are very expensive, and if they don't offer absolute defense then it wouldn't be worth it.

I would like the Injury Tolerance + DR with Super-Effort, Area and Affects Others, except I don't believe Super-Effort can be combined with DR by RAW, unless I'm missing something. Which I very well may be, as I'm not too familiar with any of the Super-related rules. Additionally, Injury Tolerance applies after subtracting DR from basic damage. That means that purchasing DR at all is sort of useless; i.e., say a nuke does 5000 damage to the dome, -100 for purchased DR amount, then the remaining 4900 is divided by the damage divisor. With that math, it would be better to use only a damage divisor of 10,000 or 100,000 with the Cosmic: Round Down enhancement, depending on how much damage is likely to be seen in the campaign. With all the modifiers that will be thrown on it, that's likely to be several thousand points.

The pocket dimension version using Jumper is a really smart idea, though. It serves it's purpose as an absolute defense (by not being there when the attack goes off) and looks relatively affordable compared to the alternatives. Link it to a Crushing Attack (Wall, Impermeable) with No Wounding, and you've got exactly what I asked for, actually.

Additionally, it bypasses the wonky nature of the Insubstantial version. such as enemies with Affects Insubstantial somehow killing you through your 'absolute defense'. It would be perfect, except for the equally wonky fact that the Wall has only a small amount of HP and DR. It would be thematically uncool if an enemy fired a machine gun at it, broke it, and discovered that you and your allies are nowhere to be found. I'm sure most GMs would let you have that, though, considering the wall is merely cosmetic and you already paid for the defense aspect.

All in all, I'll probably end up going with the Jumper version, as it appears to be the most feature-complete and affordable.
Pentaclegram is offline   Reply With Quote