View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 12:56 AM   #13
Polydamas

Default Re: Broad jumps compared to world record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koningkrush View Post
In real life, being well trained in a physical feat is only a small amount of it. It mostly all comes from how fast and powerful your body is, not how good your form is. I couldn't spend my entire life practicing form and studying textbooks on body mechanics just to jump out of my chair and break the world record without any physical ability. It pretty much comes down to two things.

-Basic move/strength/etc. (including sprinting/extra effort/whatever) should be able to bring you to a maximum of around 80% of a world record.
-Proper training and mastery with body mechanics should fill in the rest of the 20% to bring you up to the best a person could possibly manage.
Except that different activities require different strength and flexibility. There was a BBC story with a group photo of Olympians from different sports in swimsuits which shows how different a "fast and powerful" body for different sports is. And someone with the right muscles who has not practiced coordinating their muscles and tendons for a particular activity will not be able to apply their strength effectively. Skill can represent both of these, although it might also unlock perks similar to Strongbow for a particular feat.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote