View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 07:51 AM   #30
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Psionics] Pulp Psi-Phi

Quotes from Dracula, Chapter 18, by Bram Stoker:
Quote:
The nosferatu do not die like the bee when he sting once. He is only stronger, and being stronger, have yet more power to work evil.
So, he's likely got some level of Unkillable (I'd say Unkillable 3 or some variant of Unkillable 2, as he's a spirit that interacts with the world by controling or building a physical body, rather than by just 'materializing'), along with Unaging. May need help/summoning to come back.

Quote:
This vampire which is amongst us is of himself so strong in person as twenty men,
This is around ST 45, if we go by Basic Lift as the measure van Helsing is using.

Quote:
he is of cunning more than mortal, for his cunning be the growth of ages,
Lots of skills and Talents.

Quote:
he have still the aids of necromancy, which is, as his etymology imply, the divination by the dead, and all the dead that he can come nigh to are for him at command,
Depending on how literally we take this, he's either just really good at using his Charisma plus social skills to get ghosts to work for him, or there's outright mind control involved. Given his apparent hypnotic powers seen elsewhere, he's at least got Suggestion going for him. I'd say it's a mix, but that he also has the ability to Afflict ghosts with a Sense of Duty to himself (along with the Rationalization enhancement (Psionic Powers p15), of course), and perhaps one or two other Afflictions - but not full Mental Surgery.

Quote:
he is brute, and more than brute,
This either refers to his personality, or to his durability. I'm going to say that he has levels of Hard to Kill and Hard to Subdue.

Quote:
he is devil in callous, and the heart of him is not,
If these don't refer to his personality, I don't know what van Helsing is talking about. Thoughts?

Quote:
he can, within his range, direct the elements, the storm, the fog, the thunder,
Weather Control, though the level is uncertain. Probably fairly high as these things go.

Quote:
he can command all the meaner things, the rat, and the owl, and the bat, the moth, and the fox, and the wolf,
He has Animal Telepathy, and is both powerful and skilled at it... or he's just really good at getting the spirits of animals to convince living creatures to do his bidding (spirit Allies).

Quote:
he can grow and become small,
Because I've decided he needs a physical body to interact with the world, this is an illusion, most likely using a spirit Ally or two. EDIT: In fact, he's a plausible user of Modular Abilities (Allies with Summonable and a Ghost meta-trait Only).

Quote:
and he can at times vanish and come unknown.
Also an illusion (Sensory Control or Photorefraction), also probably involving a spirit Ally, though given the context, perhaps a less reliable one - or a powerful spirit Ally that can Teleport him, but again is less available than usual.

Not mentioned above, but obviously he has Domination. New vampires are going to be quite a bit weaker than this, of course, as most of the powers above are probably learned.

Note that Dracula would not be an exact match for the Count Dracula of the book; rather, he is the ghost of Vlad the Impaler, empowered by the myths and the popular perception of him, and given flesh by foolish humans who wished to pay him tribute... well, unless your GM has a different idea. The character sheet (or sheets) that's going to develop from this discussion is one of many options, and may not even be the one I use, if I use him in the game (after all, my hypothetical players might read this thread).

So, any suggestions?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 01-22-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote