View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 10:20 PM   #17
platimus

Default Re: Towering main-gauche

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
That was my first instinct as well, but consider that a main gauche has a -1 DX adjustment (the price of entry for a small shield that is also a decent off handed weapon). And, you are apparently supposed to keep the 1 pt armor bonus when you use it to attack. Taken together, I think this means they should stack. I.e., why should a main gauche be actually worse as an off handed parrying weapon? If you are paying the -1 DX penalty and don't get that 1 pt protection in exchange then that's what it amounts to.
According to the Weapons and Armor tables, a small shield has a 0 DX penalty. All the other DX- entries in the table are preceded by a negative sign. The main-gauche entry lacks the negative sign. Perhaps this is an errata. However, I can't imagine why a main-gauche would have -1 DX penalty when a dagger and small shield have a 0 DX penalty. Neither can I imagine why holding a main-gauche would increase one's DX. I'm inclined to believe that (positive) 1 should be a 0. That's how I will treat it at any rate.