View Single Post
Old 11-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #16
platimus

Default Re: Towering main-gauche

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
By your suggestion, a short sword or dagger (or hand axe or hammer or whatever) as off handed weapon gives you 2 pts of protection with no DX penalty
No, that is not my suggestion. That is the Two-Weapon talent as written.

Quote:
...whereas a Main Gauche — something designed for this purpose — gives you the same 2 pts of protection but with a -1 DX penalty. The Main Gauche is obviously the inferior option in this case.
I think we might have had a misunderstanding there. Or at least I have. Where is this -1 DX penalty for holding a main-gauche coming from? I can't find it in the rules.

I agree that the main-gauche is the inferior option when it comes to stopping hits. That's one of the reasons I don't think it should stack with the Two-Weapon 2-points of hit-stopping. If you want to combine the 1 point stoppage of the main-gauche and the 2-point stoppage of Two-weapon (for a total of 3-point stoppage) as a house-rule, go for it. That does not seem to be the intent of the RAW to me though.

EDIT
I actually feel like I'm being generous by allowing the main-gauche to stop 2 hits with Fencer or Two-Weapon. The more I read the rules, main-gauche would only stop 1 hit no matter what, RAW. (see Anaraxes post)

Last edited by platimus; 11-24-2018 at 10:13 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote