View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #14
TheAmishStig

Default Re: What products for a semi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
I recall a debate about whether a Fire Extinguisher in the tractor protected the trailer as well (since the rig is traditionally classed as one vehicle). What about 10 wheelers and the carrier?

I rule that a FE system protects everything when connected together (it is just more hoses) and the space is taken in the same place as the plant and it is destroyed with it. If you wanted to protect a detached trailer you would need a separate FE with an independent power supply (traditionally via a small bike plant or later after it's introduction by a laser battery).

Arguably the FE shouldn't need an independent power supply as it is not a PU draining system. Turrets, computers and radios etc. continue to work with a detached trailer (presumably some dedicated built-in battery/capacitor allows function for some time after disconnect) and weapon systems on cars continue to work even after the plant has been destroyed. I see no reason why this could not apply to FE's. The requirement for them to be destroy-able however is more easily handled by requiring some independent power supply that can be destroyed (and maybe there is no built in battery precisely because they are designed to be attached to a power plant).

A thought...and keep in mind I'm talking about books I don't own and vehicle types I've never played with, aka I'm talking out my exhaust manifold here, but...depending on the real-world type of FE system Car Wars mimics (pumped vs pressurized, dry vs liquid vs gas, etc), the power plant requirement may be for the pumps and associated systems, rather than actuators on the valves themselves.

Or it could be as simple as Steve saying "We need to be able to blow this up, but it doesn't warrant its own 'compartment' like passengers / engine / cargo" hand-wavium because fun trumps realism.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote