View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #18
whswhs

Default Re: my new campaign ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yeah the variable die pool, variable target numbers and variable required successes made it really difficult to get a feel for the probability.
It's really easy to get the expected number of dice of success for any combination.

Say, for example, you are rolling seven dice against a difficulty of 5. Each die succeeds on a 5-10, which is 0.6 successes contributed per die, a total of 4.2. But each die cancels out a success on a 1, which is 0.1 successes contributed per die, a total of 0.7. The difference is 3.5, so that's the expected number of successes.

Generalizing from that, if you roll N dice against difficulty m, you get N(10-m)/10 successes.

It's tricky to figure out the chance of an out and out botch, but that's fairly small in any case. I did produce a complete table of odds many years ago, setting it up on Excel, but I would have to reconstruct the whole process; I didn't save it.

But figuring odds aside, my experience was that the results of dice rolling didn't produce crazy unintuitive narratives, quite unlike my experience with Godlike's seemingly similar dice mechanics.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote