View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
JCD

Default Re: [vessels] how to manage role

alexondria and I are having a similar discussion right now. My take is slightly different.

Ashat the Demon has a cop car, a badge and a uniform. He may even have some Valpua Demon create a paper trail for him. He does NOT have a role. He pulls over a human and beats him up. To all intents and purposes, he LOOKS like a cop, but there is no acknowledgement of him being anything besides a stranger to fellow humans, and therefore the Symphony.

Henry the Angel holds a regular cop job. He stops at Joe's for lunch, he's dating Kristy, he has a spiffy locker that smells like sweat socks right next to his (mortal) partner's, and Mrs. Cravitz keeps trying to set him up with her daughter ("She perfect. A nice Jewish girl. Come over for dinner. We're having knish.") He has a Role of 6. The "faith" that all these mortals have in his existance MAY mute any damage he may do to the Symphony. So a role is Faith and Familiarity. The more you are a fixture in the lives of humans, the more of a role you have...but only for that particular vessel.

Not all roles are positive. Gnash, a nameless Djinn who has no "paper trail" (i.e. identity papers) and pays cash for a poor apartment, may have a role as "That Scary Dude who lives in 4B". A small role, but still there.

But to answer your question, a high status "millionaire" celestial who has a small role would be a recluse, i.e. someone out of the public view except as a name. With sufficient Songs, tethers and Portals to travel, one can do quite a bit and still maintain a "regular" Role.

I don't know that they ever established where vessels go when the Celestial "put's them away". I suppose Limbo is as good an answer as any.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote