Thread: Maintaining ST
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #25
Hide

Default Re: Maintaining ST

While I find this idea and basically all of these suggestions pretty nice, I would bother with this ONLY if my campaign was about winning Mr. Universe & Strongman tournaments, keeping a Gym or a Dojo and the like…

Usually, you "buy" 25 types of kicks for a PC because you want improved effects with kicks or maybe something cool like a Chuck Norris-esque kick. You want 20 ST because you are into throwing lots of dice when you attack. Under such assumptions, I believe everybody pays the price: Investing a lot of CP for a very particular purpose that might not play handy at a certain point in the campaign. If this is just too much, I let them write an acceptable background (by my criteria) or buy an unusual background. That is all.

“Why would I need to do anything else if I already payed the CP, and all I want to do is play the campaign and see my awesome PC in action?” I think, if you “have to do something extra” to keep plain ST, you should as well, receive an extra benefit.

Perhaps the only mechanic I would accept/suggest is “Power Modifier: Ninja Training”, from DF 12: Ninjas (or anything comparable). Maybe you can do something similar for your PCs.

But personally, instead of "inviting" my PCs to plan their workouts and use our playtime to role-play (possibly) routine stuff (i.e. workouts to "maintain" stuff a PC already knows)… I would throw them challenges to make them think about their PCs as functional individuals in the setting (so they can do proper adjustments, if they wish).

Finally, I still have my PCs sleep, feed themselves, learn, look for masters and/or practice their stuff to improve it; this lets them learn about their surroundings and reminds them they are not robots… But that’s as much as I like to do in my settings. I like thinking we all got a tight agenda-schedule, so I focus on stuff which IMO will be funnier.

Take care!
- Hide

Last edited by Hide; 03-09-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote