View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 12:51 AM   #19
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [DF] Why do Wizards have 12 Dexterity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
I guess my doubts lie somewhere here. I get the benefits: a wizard is a well rounded character with some flexibility in advancement. I just didn't expect that from DF. Knight and Swashbuckler are combat monsters with no real flexibility in brains, so I expected Wizards to be spellcasting monsters with no flexibility in brawn.
I guess I just need to put a bit more thought into balancing encounters.
Dividing activities into 'combat' vs. 'brains' and 'spellcasting' vs. 'brawn' is kind of a problem.

The Knight is probably the second-most devoted combatant, after the Swashbuckler, but they have some expertise in martial equipment (Armory, Connoisseur) and military command (Leadership, Strategy, Tactics) and a range of useful Background skills. They're not useless in a scene where they're not going to be rolling damage, though they certainly tend to a much smaller role in those cases relative to some other templates.

Wizards are flat-out terrible at brawn and manage to underperform the already very poor thief or druid in martial or muscular activities. DX 12 is the lowest of any template, tied with other magic users. DX 12, like a weapon skill of 14, is kind of a 'if you are not this capable of dealing with physical reality you don't belong in a dungeon' cut-off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
IQ is also Perception, and being an idiot means you don't notice important things (or don't realize it was important, or forget about it when you get distracted, same difference). IQ is also Will, and as mentioned Knights can find themselves suddenly in Make Will Roll Or Suck fights. And, just like the Wizard can't guarentee a nice ablative wall of knights in front of him, the Knights can't always rely on having a thinking-brain Wizard on hand when the IQ needs rolling.

Knights are also Tactics and Leadership characters, which are IQ based.

Nobody is single stat.
Of course, Knights built to template don't have much ability to do anything about any of those points. They aren't offered bought-up IQ, senses, or resistance to mind-effecting whammies. (Other than fear checks.)