View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 05:35 PM   #9
DryaUnda

Default Re: Horror in the TS universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert
For horror, it is a good idea to center on the themes of Future Shock.
As usual, Jürgen, your ideas are spot-on. However, there's one big metagame problem: they'll actually work. Horror is mainly about scaring the players, getting the players scared of transhuman elements (which they're probably unfamiliar with) will play directly into the ick-factor tactics that bioconservatives love to use. In fact, a lot of horror is based directly on xenophobia. (Since I have the Xenophilia disadvantage, I'm a bit biased here.)

If I were to run a horror campaign, I'd base the threat on Dolores Umbridge: a sadistic bigot with political power. In THS terms, this means jack-booted thugs from the GRA invading Seventh Heaven, or Exogenisis scientists enduring EDI goon squads, or being the the victims of genocide for the usual reasons (Armitage III: Poly-Matrix is a perfect example of this), or anything else based on Presavationist backlash.

Great Cthulhu deciding that San Francisco would make a good breakfast doesn't horrify me, a so-called parent threatening a child at knifepoint to not be gay does.