View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 03:29 AM   #10
Tomsdad

Default Re: High defenses in 4th edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
A basic problem is kind of that 14 is a bit low skill, there is a huge benefit for such things to getting skill up to 16, the crit chance makes any sort of waiting defense a bad idea at skill 16.
Yep this is a good point, at Skill 14 a 2DB shield or retreat bonus will have much greater proportional effect than at higher skills (and even more so if used in combination with each other). This is even more true when you factor in deceptive attacks at higher skill levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
If you have two fairly low equally skilled fighters with high defense then feint is a huge benefit because of the huge spikes you can get in it. It is quite common to get a penalty up to 5-6 in feints with equal skill and at that point the defense is pretty low...
That I'm not sure about though?

1). Any spikes can go in either direction with equal skill. Although this does not negatively affect the person initiating the fient if it goes against them, other than wasting their feint. I.e they can't do worse than get no effect

2). I'm not sure how common it is to get such high relative MoS with equal skills in the lower range. Take 14 vs. 14

I think the highest chance of getting 5+ relative MoS is if the person feinting rolls a 9 or less 37.5% and the target rolls 14+ 16.2%, which is a combined 6.1% chance I think?

EDIT: actually 8 or less and 13 or more would be: 25.9% and 25.9% = 6.7% that I think is the highest chance

Last edited by Tomsdad; 04-18-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote