View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 04:24 AM   #36
Tomsdad

Default Re: Logistically Viable Weapons AtE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
There are definitely stockpiles of prewar ammunition scattered about. It's the reason I'm not strongly considering flintlocks. My initial idea is to have whatever weapon chosen be chambered in 5.56 NATO, but at least initially the conscrips are using low quality ammunition made in this warlords factories. I'm thinking carbine length rifles so for 5.56 that would be 4d+2 pi, acc 4 by default. 3d+2 pi-, acc 3 when using the bad ammunition.
I would actually go full length with a bayonet.

That way you have a gun and a reach 1-2 spear in one. And sometimes a spear is all you'll need so conserve the bullets, (and yes at some points a spear might even be better than a rifle)

I don't imagine that if you're already making a carbine length barrel a full rifle length barrel is that much harder. You might get another point of acc out of the rifle. A longer barrel might well be more forgiving of substandard ammunition in terms of performance as well.

Generally speaking carbine length kind of become a widespread thing because you had troops being moved around en mass in ways that full length rifles got in the way off, and better tech came along meaning that carbine length wan't the performance tradeoff it had previously been (and then combat ethos changed as well moving away from in GURPS terms firing 7d of damage past 1000m) . This may not be in effect in an ATE setting?

Although I know you said you weren't keen on it being too good (or rather having room for improvement)?

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-05-2018 at 07:17 AM.