View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #45
Icelander

Default Re: [HT][TS]Tactics for realistic suppressors

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
Wait, are you saying it's not realistically possible to jam a knife into a brain from behind, perhaps after grappling the head to stabilize your target? Perhaps that's a much harder thing to do than it sounds, but regardless, if it could be done, "instant unconsciousness, no sound" (assuming you catch them as they fall) is not unrealistic at all IMO.
Assuming very high ST, enough Will or other traits to be able to retain very fine motor control under stressful conditions and above average precision and hand-eye coordination, there is a possible way to do that, yes. Needless to say, you also need training with a knife, a lot more than most soldiers have.

Problem is that it's usually either a perfect kill or the point of the knife slides off a vertabrae. In which case you have an annoyed and loud sentry.

In GURPS terms, you'd use a Reversed Grip knife to strike for the Spine in the Neck.

Personally, I'd allow targeting a specific point on the Spine, the one corresponding to the target area of a matador, at the -11 Kromm wants to use for targeting the Spine in the neck in general. That would allow the DR 3 to become DR 1 if you're using an Impaling weapon, which makes this practical for someone skilled enough. Obviously only works from behind.

You can also strike upwards behind the ear and into the brain. Or at the base of the skull, angling upwards.

I'd call both equally difficult as an Eye hit, but only possible from behind. Behind the ear would have the same effects as an Eye hit, minus blinding, i.e. Skull without DR. Base of the skull might give the DR 3 of the Spine, which you could halve by taking an extra -2 to hit.

None of those, however, are used by real soldiers in real life. Because they require too much skill and too much ST to be reliably useful. Even a ST 14 soldier with Knife-15 is not going to be able to pull them off reliably.

You need something closer to ST 17 and Knife-20. And that's something real soldiers generally don't have. Rambo, though...