Thread: Skills as perks
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
malloyd

Default Re: Skills as perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Any other examples stand out to you?
There are a handful of skills that just don't seem to contain enough material to be full skills, and a few more that seem qualitative, rather than something it makes sense to roll against to see if you succeed (not all those are worth only 1 point though). My usual list is something like:

Body Sense - a skill adaptation of whatever you use the teleport. If it needs to exist at all - you don't roll against anything every time you take a step to see if you keep your balance after all.

Computer Operation. You can use a computer. Roll against the skill for whatever you are trying to use it *for* if you need a success roll.

Counterfeiting. A skill adaptation of whatever the skill is to make the thing you are counterfeiting ordinarily.

Fast Draw. Yeah, skill adaptation of a weapon skill, or DX (i.e. a Shtick) if you don't want to be able to use the weapon well.

Fire Eating. A Shtick.

Forced Entry (?) I haven't quite figured this one out. There doesn't seem to be enough here to warrant skill rolls, but....

Free Fall. G-Experience for a single gravity band?

Hiking. Probably worth more than a point though. Also Running, Swimming and maybe Skating and Skiing.

Lip Reading. I suppose you might occasionally need a Per roll, but still.

Meditation. Cf. Autotrance, which is more useful. Though I sometimes think a combined mental discipline skill might be the way to go instead.

NBC Suit. OTW of Hazardous Materials. Putting you your PPE comes pretty early in teaching that surely. Also Environment Suit.

Panhandling. Beats me what this is, but it's insane for it to be a skill you roll against every *hour* of begging. I could believe an optional specialization of Performance.

Speed Reading. Sure

Typing. A skill adaptation added to your choice of skill you use a keyboard with - typically Administration or Computer something.

Ventriloquism. Another Shtick

Weather Sense.