View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #41
Icelander

Default Satellite Television Service at Ft. Leavenworth Military Correctional Complex

I love the Internet and the odd things that one can find there. I can actually confirm that from the fall of 2011, USDB Ft. Leavenworth had access to 16 satellite stations: CNN, TNT, USA, ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, AMC, BET, SCYFY, A&E, FX, COMEDY CENTRAL, ESPN, ESPN2, and UNIVISION.

Two fairly recent movies shown every Friday night, which was Movie Night. The movies shown are usually movies that were released about four months earlier. It's possible that sometimes they showed classics, but no source has so far mentioned this.

Sports, whether live or not, are popular watching. Football is mentioned most often, but basketball and baseball on ESPN are also popular.

Even with TVs and Movie Night, inmates can be astonishingly out of touch with society, pop culture and the progress of technology. At the end of 2011, a fairly new inmate at USDB Ft. Leavenworth was asked by someone in his pod what 'WiFi' was. Apparently, someone had seen it mentioned in a commercial on the TV and had no idea what it was.

That's just the sort of detail for which I'm looking. Little touches to add to characterisation for someone who spent the past five and a half year incarcerated, most of it in USDB Ft. Leavenworth.