View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 11:56 AM   #29
Andreas

Default Re: X-Files level characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSammallahti View Post
I think Seals in Vietnam is another instance of post-Basic Set inflation in point totals and skill levels. The Basic Set puts Navy Seals and world class scientists at 100-200 points and ordinary cops at 50-75 points, with seasoned cops and star athletes in between at 75-100 points. I think those are good guidelines, and I'd go by them.
That might not be the case. The SEAL template has skill levels of 14 or lower except a single one at 15. That does not seem at all unreasonable given the guidelines in the Basic Set. Also as the description of the template explains, real SEALs often had flaws which the template lacks and it recommends that "For more variation in a squad, players could opt to reduce some attributes by one or two points rather than increase them".

If you do that, the template could fit into the 100-200 point range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I'd say that virtually every protagonist in fiction has some form of that.
Soap opera characters probably have the most extreme versions, if you think about it.
There are plenty who don't. You don't have wierdness magnet if you encounter wierd things because someone you know has wierdness magnet, because you sometimes choose to seek out wierd situations through your own actions or because you possess some other trait which makes you more likely than average to encounter wierd situations (some Reputations for example).
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote