View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
Xplo

Default Re: Alternate Talent pricing for math heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Have you looked at the alternative pricing rules in PU3?
I have. Didn't I reference them? I recall them being, basically, 1 point per skill, minimum 5. Which still leaves the problem that the big Talents are too pricy compared to attributes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The problem with talents is that their value isn't strictly a function of how many skills they are -- it's with what skills they are. A talent with a bunch of skills that are of marginal value, are highly redundant, have glaring gaps that will have to be filled in, or have a lot of shared defaults just isn't ever going to be that valuable. By comparison, the 'every skill I want to be good at' talent is fairly valuable.
Well, first of all, the point of Talents is to be useful to the character who takes them, and to give that character a defined field of expertise or ability. RAW warn against "me talents", but if you don't want at least most of the skills in a Talent, why would you take it? I think this is a case where the RAW miss the point by erring on the side of caution.

As to the point that some skills are more useful than others, I can't think of any mechanic that can alleviate that, other than pricing skills by utility (yeah, that gigantic can of worms, which I don't intend to argue for). If you think a particular Talent is overpriced for its utility, either don't take it, or go to your GM and make a case for lowering the cost.
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote