View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #49
Infornific

Default Re: Attribute Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orienda View Post
Most sports stars, while they do probably have up to 15-16 dex and 20+ str, depending on the sport, have much more of their ability in the skill, considering the ammount of time they put into it.

Likewise most geniuses probably have IQ 14-16 with several levels of talent in their field of mastery. Of course the problem with one IQ stat is that in the real world, there are so many types of intelligence, and people can be brilliant at say, problem solving and have a horrible memory (and even memory can be subdivided into different parts that don't necessary correlate with each other).
I'd say ST 20 is a bit high. My own quick and dirty measure of real world ST feats goes:

Snatch: BL*5
Clean & Jerk: BL*6
bench press: BL*7.5
Deadlift: BL*10

That roughly corresponds to the ratios for the world records in these lifts and gives a ST 10 character a basic bench press of 150, which seems reasonable. The world record for the snatch is about 469 lbs, which by this scale could be done with a ST of 22. However, in game terms the record holder probably had Lifting ST plus a high Lifting skill and a good roll, so I'd drop ST to more like 18 or 19. And the record holder, Hossein Rezazadeh weighs close to 360 lbs. That suggests a lower base ST for the overwhelming majority of athletes.

- DW
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote