View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #13
Gavynn

Default Re: GURPS LOTR Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow
There's another form of magic that appears in Middle-earth: spells. Spells are literally magic words. Using language is itself a form of creation, and words have power. Ilúvatar created Arda by saying Éa, "Let it be." One opens the West-gate of Moria by saying mellon, "friend." And Tolkien's primary interest in his stories of Middle-earth is the languages he created.

Anyone who knows the magic words can cast a spell, though the knowledge of the words is rare and passing from the world in the Third Age. Even orcs have their share of spells. Only hobbits seem to be ignorant of them, at least as far as we ever hear. I'm willing to bet that even hobbits have some, buried deep in some forgotten family tome.
Yes, words are powerful, but I disagree that anyone who knows the words can cast spells. I have been going under the idea that spells are words plus "something else".

Quote:
The spell lists must be scrutinzed and categorized according to who knows what, however: elves do not know necromantic spells and orcs do not know light spells.
I agree and it is a major task, and the GURPS spells do not translate one to one. Plus, then I add some spells as powers. There is more than one way to produce a magical effect in Middle-earth.
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote