View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #24
middlearthenthusiast

Default Re: Middle Earth: Melee (TFT) or Man to Man (GURPS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
Can add to that fire spells, shadow, staff, and the first time I read the Blast spell in original Wizard I said to myself, "Aha! That is exactly what Gandalf used when the goblins tried to abduct him along with Bilbo and the dwarves that night they went to sleep in the cave!" Alas that scene never made it into Peter Jackson's Hobbit, because he left Gandalf behind in Rivendell -- one of many little changes I find annoyingly spurious.
My idea at the moment is to have characters create only fighters. I’ll use rules for Wizards just to give relevant abilities to the appropriate NPC’s the players will stumble across, much like TOR. I could be persuaded to let players learn a few ‘spells’ if they seemed fitting for a particularly magical culture...such as a high elf but only at the GM’s discretion. TOR is great for storytelling, but a big part of me just wants to run a scary sandbox survival campaign in Wilderland with a bunch of inexperienced PC’s. I’m thinking: tracking rations, slow-healing wounds, travel fatigue, OP horrifying beasts that the PC’s should probably not engage in combat, etc.
middlearthenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote