View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 08:19 PM   #227
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

BTW: my turn didn't technically end when I attacked you, I had 1 movement point left (only 2 yards between us)... and since you retreated, I do not need to evade you to continue forward, so I ended my turn using my last movement point entering into close combat with you again.

I'm trying to figure out how you got a base 16 for kicking from Brawling 16, which would only give you a base Kicking technique of 14... I guess I will call that a half-telegraphed attack (only +1 to defend, not +2) to understand how you got that number.

BTW have you come across the 'near miss' rules in Pyramid? I think in T-bone's Alternative GURPS contribution.

You've brought up a very interesting consideration here: what happens if someone doesn't have the energy to stop (or doesn't want to decelerate) but there is something in the way?

Normally a contest of Evasion assumes you're trying to run past someone...but what if you are not trying to? Should it act as some kind of obligatory Slam-attempt?

Another strange thing is...Move and Attack prevents the traditional retreat, I wonder perhaps because it assumes forward movement during a M+A (even though there is no such requirement) and Martial Arts contributes variant kinds like Slip and Sideslip...

Given there's no obligation to actually use all movement points (even though in this case I did) I wonder if someone does a Move and Attack but has unused movement points to pay for the movement needed in a certain direction, if perhaps they ought to be able to do so...

I seem to recall in one of the Alternative GURPS or a supplement for large creatures that there's an automatic slam that happens via movement, though I think it only happens via large creatures running at small ones, which doesn't apply here.

It seems like though, that if I don't want to decelerate, and I do not want to evade you, the option of running straight forward must exist, but I guess obligates the purchase of a Slam so that the outcome of your dodging that causes the "run 2 yards past" outcome of FREE uncontested evasion...

But what would happen if you had a shield to 'block' a slam, or if you 'parry' it? Would that be free deceleration? Or would it simply be forced deceleration and you forcing the FP cost? Or would we share the cost?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote