View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 01:19 PM   #33
DataPacRat

Default Re: Seeking build advice: Modern conspiracy character creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Going with a character concept of "guy who knows things":
You've covered, well, most of this thread, and it's safe to say that I'm going to (or already have) yoink all your suggestions.

Quote:
2) Buy several slots and points of this custom modular ability:

Digital Super Memorization: As super memorization, but you live in a society where information is easily available digitally. Information can be found for free both legally and illegally. Bad network conditions can interfere, but you may still use physical and saved media. 6 points base plus 4 points per point of abilities. (I assumed downloading and then reading balances out allowing physical media)

Consider adding the modifier (Not Combat or Social skills - 20%) for niche protection
I think I'll quibble about Social - there's "Getting to Yes" and texts on 'Alternative Dispute Resolutions' for Diplomacy, "Miss Manners" and her descendants for Savoir-Faire, Kevin Mitnick and other hackers' approaches to social engineering for Fast-Talk, and so on - and go for a -10% for 'No Combat Skills'.

Quote:
You should also invest points in the basic adventurer competencies, unless they clash with your character in some way (i.e. Social skills and shyness).
A good link; based on it, so far, I've thrown in a point for Streetwise (with an optional specialty of 'Online'), and a Dabbler I'm calling "Some Loompanics books that stuck" for five more. I'm not bothering with trying to improve things like Carousing or Sex Appeal from their current defaults of 3-, or everyman skills like Driving that already default to 10- or more, but there's room in the middle to bring up "Liquid Projector/TL8 (Sprayer)" for pepper-spray from terrible to poor.

Quote:
Dropping combat paralysis is probably wise.
You're not the first, and after skimming the forum and finding there are already some rules for being startled by violence with a possible result of freezing up, I can go with that.
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote